Friday, July 28, 2017

Where do ladybugs come from?

While walking the dogs earlier tonight, I noticed that the milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) was in bloom, which means that caterpillars and butterflies will soon follow.
 The basswood (aka Linden) trees in the front yard are also late into their blooming season, and I knew I had to stop procrastinating and get pictures soon.
 In the process, I saw an uncooperative ladybug that was trying hard not to get in the picture.
 And then I saw this, and thought "No way!" Ladybugs go through a metamorphosis like butterflies?"
Which actually when I thought more about it was like "Duh." because I knew mealworms eventually turned into beetles. But I had never actually seen a ladybug pupa.
 So this is a ladybug larva ~ the beetle equivalent of a caterpillar. Ugly and creepy, and faster moving than a caterpillar or mealworm.
 These two pictures are the same pupa just different angles.
 And this is another ladybug in mid-change. Somewhere between the above pictures and an actual ladybug.
[Here] is a time-lapse video of the process.

1 comment:

  1. Mother Nature is the very best at making silk purses from sow's ears isn't she?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!