Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday at the rubble pile

There was more dirt rubble dumped at the pile down the street this week. My inner urban archeology geek was activated!
 Friday before the rains, I did some digging and came up with much more than in the previous digs.
 
 
The flower below is actually gold.
 
 This is an imprint on the bottom of a piece that I'm still researching.
 A piece of a milk glass beer stein with two German words. The first "Wahlbe" translate to Election. The second, "Koms," translated to comms, so was possibly an abbreviation for commemorative. On the left, out of the photo are two stacked words and parts of others.  The upper I think is "...er Trunk," with no translation. The lower one, "...er Wald," translates to Forest.
 This was today's finds ~ a rainy day which made it difficult to search the rubble pile. It is mostly made up of red clay, which quickly stuck to the bottom of my shoes and made it difficult to walk. As much as I would have loved to just go barefoot onto the pile, as you can see there is quite a bit of broken glass in it. I don't think I would like to be digging any of it out of the bottom of my feet.  I should wear my rain boots next time I go out.  I also wore gloves today, which quickly became heavy with the wet clay and made it difficult to wipe clean any pieces I found but was safer for my fingers and hands.
 The center piece above with the blue scroll work had a scalloped edge, and the bottom of it below had parts of clear letters.  A "c" on top, and "John" below it. More research to do, and I found a great website for [old pottery and porcelain marks].
Most of the glass pictured above had raised lettering on them but no complete words that I can research. The blue glass has an opalescence that makes it shimmer with color as I move it in the light. The one square bottom piece that is just above the brown piece of glass in the picture has a "3" on the bottom, and the lettering is sideways on what would be the front or back of the bottle.  It is narrower than this piece that I found a few weeks ago, but that piece had no lettering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!