Saturday, June 17, 2017

rainy day discoveries

The first was actually not something I saw, but rather something I heard. Identifying it then, was much more difficult since I had no idea where to start looking.  The goldfinch has a sweet sound, but since I'd only seen one before but had never heard one I had to go through at least a dozen bird songs before finding the right one. It was helpful that I stood outside, under the stoop, to play the songs because it was when I heard it respond to the song on my phone I knew I had the right one.
 We are in the daisy and lupine season of the summer. I've seen the lupines beginning to bloom the last week and hope to be able to stop and get some pictures soon.
 I found a well-hidden robin's nest while out with the dogs. Its hiding place revealed by diligent parents feeding hungry youngsters. It is in an outside shed protected from the recent winds and thunderstorms, as well as the heat of the sun. 
 Did you know baby robins have old man eyebrows?

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!