Monday, May 22, 2017

drive about ...

On Saturday we went on a drive about. I had heard that there were Lake Superior rocks on the north shore, and that was our goal.
 Unfortunately, I should have gotten more information about where said north shore was exactly. We drove from Ashland up through Washburn and Bayfield, around the corner, through Cornucopia, and down to Superior and Duluth before going home the short way straight from Superior.
 The only place I did see rocks on the beach was at the far beach in the photo below which was actually more of the bottom of a red clay cliff that was closed off to the public. The rains were causing the clay to give way and wash into the lake, and any attempt to go down would have been dangerous.
 It was not the best of days for a road trip since it started raining with strong winds about 2 hours into the drive and didn't stop until long after we were home. Crossing the bridge between Superior and Duluth was probably the most scared I have ever been on a bridge or road trip since a childhood trip to Nice, France. 
(long story, but the Cliff Notes version is that we drove up a mountain and our host parked the car on the edge of a cliff. While everyone else went to pick and eat cherries until they were covered in red cherry juice, I stayed behind in the car. I was convinced that it was my weight alone ~ all the weight of an 8-year-old ~ that kept the car from rolling off the edge of the cliff and stranding us forever on the mountain. See, even then I had a very overactive imagination!)
Sunday night we had fresh trout for dinner.
I can't decide which I like best. Fresh trout, fresh catfish, or fresh salmon. I suppose it doesn't really matter since they are all yummy.

1 comment:

  1. We used to follow my father along the riverbank with a frypan. When he caught was when and where we ate. Precious memories. Rainbow trout usually. Occasionally brown...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!