Sunday, February 19, 2017

Signs of Spring ...

or, it could be signs that everyone is more than ready for Spring.
Especially at one of the local banks.

This is one of the older homes in the area that I love.
I love the windows and doors of the older two-story homes, but my knees and ankles don't like the idea of stairs anymore.

One of my craft mediums this month... sculpty clay.

This is a rock I found a few years ago that I thought looked like a dinosaur or dragon egg. It recently cracked off more of it's "shell" and I want to believe it is just previous damage and not an indication that it could actually have been an egg of some sort. Regardless, I think I'm going to find a template for a baby dragon hatching and paint it, maybe even using some sculpty clay to give it a little 3D. (like one of [these] or [this])

Lucy? You got some 'splainin' to do!!!!

Remember this picture? It was taken in mid-November.
This one, same spot, today.
The auger he got to drill a hole in the ice to fish has about a 3+ foot blade on it, and it took him almost 45 minutes to get through the ice.

It occurred to me today how much birch bark resembles winter...

Moss amazes me. It can be buried under several feet of snow for months, and then as soon as it melts it looks like it just sprouted that morning. Another cool thing I learned about moss this weekend was that it is a favorite munchie of "[water bears]." I never even knew these fascinating little animals existed until I read an article in the February 2017 issue of the local Bottom Line News & Views. 
In the article, the Cable (Wisconsin) Natural History Museum's newest curator found a water bear on re-hydrated lichen growing on a tree in the museum's backyard. Sort of like finding a needle in a haystack, and just as exciting.

The Spring 2017 "what-do-you-think-this-is" games have begun. I spotted these coming up in the garden area by the front door. I suspect they might be peonies, but too early to tell.  We are expecting rain and warm (in the upper 50's) weather this week, but snow and freezing again next week again. Hopefully, there will be a significant snow melt before the upcoming freeze and snow that will give spring plants a chance to get a solid start, and the cold weather won't be as severe as expected.

Finally these.
David didn't have any luck ice fishing today, so before we hummed Taps we entertained Lucy with her own personal koi pond for a little while. She wasn't quite sure what to think about the minnows since she'd never seen live fish before. Or for that matter, dead fish either. But she was sufficiently entertained (at least managed to keep four feet on the ground and not in the ceiling), so I will eventually get her a floor level fish tank


2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!