Sunday, January 1, 2017

a new year ...

I've given up on writing out a list of resolutions that will make me feel guilty before the end of February. Instead, I've been working on setting goals. Short. Achievable. Things to check off in my new bullet journal ~ another new habit & goal that I'm setting for myself this year ~ and I've chosen my word for 2017.
2016 was honestly a year I am glad to see over and gone. I started the year with a lot of hope that was quickly smashed and by the end of September was just a lot of discouragement and disappointment. Gratefully, the last three months of the year gave me hope again and we were blessed tremendously.

Create can mean so many things, and this year I want it to mean all of them. 
I want to be able to create a home for us here in Wisconsin or wherever God plants us next. I want to learn a new craft each month and create gifts and cards for next Christmas or other special occasions. I want to create in the kitchen, baking for the holidays again like I did many years ago, and breaking out the German Christmas cookie recipes my Grandmother passed down to me from her own mother. I want to let my words create another book (Winter Bear), and also update my first book (My Best Friends Have Hairy Legs) for a look at the last ten years of lessons life and marriage have thrown at me. I want to create cards again with some of my photos from the past three+ years, and maybe even enlarge some of my photos and mount them on canvas or wood.

This month, I am absolutely in love with [felted brooches and earrings]. (thank you, Pinterest!). I had ideas for my Mom(s), sisters, friends, and was just scribbling all kinds of ideas on a list.  I was super excited to find a website for the Ashland Art Center that offered classes in felting, as well as ceramics, painting, and other fun artsy fartsy projects. I signed up for their email newsletters and class schedules ...

... and then I realized it was in Ashland, OREGON.

Fortunately, between Pinterest, YouTube, and other websites, I think I will be able to learn how to felt without having to fly across the country four times a month. 
In February, I want to use [polymer clay] and not something to be fired a kiln. My goal is to upcycle as much as possible with [old sweaters, jeans, fabrics, empty glass jars, etc.]. When I do need to buy, I want to shop at $ stores or Goodwill. 

In addition to choosing a word for the year, my motto is going to be "making more with less."

3 comments:

  1. I love your word "CREATE"! It sounds like you will get to spread your wings and have a beautifully busy time with your creative skills :) I'm excited for you. I love the idea of having a word for the year, too—mine is "GRACE". I'm your neighbour at #CoffeeForYourHeart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the word create! I think it should be my one word for life! I have so many things I want to try.... My word for 2017 is "wait" and it sort of found me. It was jumping out at me in almost everything I read! Blessings! Thanks for visiting my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Create is a great word. I'm an artist but I don't set aside enough time to create. Your post inspires me to change that in 2017. Visiting from #coffeeforyourheart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!