Friday, December 30, 2016

patience ...

... is a must when it comes to catching pictures of frozen bubbles,
 also thick socks, warm boots, and a fast focusing camera.
It was 18°F so I was trying to work fast before my mini-tab decided it didn't want to work
I have another digital camera that I might have to try, but not sure if it would focus any faster. I have come to the conclusion that the perfectly frozen bubble that I'm trying to copy was one photographed in a controlled environment and not necessarily outside.

 This is an arbor across in the backyard that I want to eventually hang bird feeders and hummingbird feeders on and maybe even some gourd houses.

We had rain on Christmas Day that froze all the snow into 2-3 inches thick sheets of ice all across the driveway. It is thinner in the yard where the snow is deeper, and it makes it difficult for Charlie to balance when he goes out to potty because he will suddenly break through the ice top and be lopsided. I keep trying to encourage him to go to the spot in the front yard where the tall pines have prevented snow from falling between there, but he is stubborn.

Needless to say, I've been spending more time inside where it is warm and not as much risk of me slipping and breaking something than I have been outside. My elbow that I chipped when I slipped on the ice in February took forever to stop hurting, and I have no desire for a repeat performance.
I finally finished my winter wreath. The sparkle thread was just 50¢ at the Goodwill store, and it was probably because it is such a pain in the arse to work with. It was constantly knotting up on itself and I finally had to put it in a Ziploc baggie to limit how much thread came off the round at a time.

I found (on Pinterest, of course) a quick and easy way to make drink coasters, and so have been crocheting the sparkle thread in with some other yarn I found on clearance at Walmart. Once you have a long single chain made, you cut it off and carefully hot glue it into a round about 3.5-4 inches across. You can then continue the chain to make another after gluing the cut end to start a new round. Perfect for me to do since I can't remember how to make a turn when crocheting. But I can do miles and miles of a single chain.

And then there was an unexpected surprise in the mail today. A full-size jar of a very expensive wrinkle removing face cream. (which I won't name or share a picture of here because I'm about to tell you about a less expensive option I discovered) I'm slightly offended because I'm sure that there is ageism discrimination going on since I didn't request the sample. I did accidently find another wrinkle remover recently when I started washing my face with a homemade coffee soap I had bought two years ago at a craft fair. It had been my seldom used kitchen soap for removing odors, but I read something about coffee grounds being good to reduce the appearance of puffy eyes (a.k.a. lazy slug bed face), and a dry skin exfoliator. So I thought I would give it a try.
Needless to say, it has been surprisingly effective. If you happen to know someone who makes their own soap, or chance upon some at a craft fair, I would grab up a bar or three of any with coffee grounds. Especially if made with goat's milk. You don't have to scrub your face raw with the actual bar, but just lather up your hands like you would with any other face soap.

You can thank me later.

1 comment:

  1. Freezing bubbles does take patience. And luck. And a still morning.
    Love your coasters. Sigh on the expensive cream front. The benefits to them are one sided I believe. And not in favour of the user.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!