Sunday, September 11, 2016

sunday again

here is the email response i got on the history of the North Bessemer School that i shared last Sunday: "The wooden building on that same corner was the first North Bessemer school. I had 2 half sisters that went there in the 1920's. I'm not sure when the newer building was built. I was born in 1932 and it was there as far back as I can remember. I went to the 2nd and 3rd grade there in 1939 and 1940 or so. I don't remember if there is a cornerstone with the date but I would guess the late 1920's.

As far as I know the owls didn't mean anything special. My opinion is that they were put there as a symbol of wisdom.

There were 2 classrooms and a larger room with a stage. This was used as an auditorium and for social gatherings. In addition to the two types of events I mentioned, there was another group that held functions there. There was a club out there, the North Bessemer Club which dated back to pre WWll. They also held box socials etc to raise money for a new club house.

As a side note regarding the talent shows I had mentioned in an earlier email. I started playing the harmonica at an early age. At the time there was a popular harmonica group called the Harmonicats, they can be found on youtube. I asked a couple of my buddies to play backup, they weren't good players but it worked. I called my group the Harmonikittens. We got on stage and I played a few Finnish Polkas and Schottises. As I mentioned before, what memories!

 the next several pictures are of Abelman Clothing downtown Bessemer. it is the only clothing store in town, and judging by their prices, i'm shocked they get any sales at all. a pair of shorts were on sale for $50! my kind of sale prices are the ones for less than $10!!!! they did have beautiful clothes and shoes, but nothing i couldn't live without.
 i love the detail on the building!

 above, original detail work around windows and doors 
below, the original showcase from when they first opened the store in 1887

 above, a very creative family tree 
below, a clock original to the building 

 above, a picture of three generations of Abelmans
below, a pressed tin ceiling

 above, signs original to the building. look at the attorney's business hours!

the last 3 pictures are of the really expensive cute clogs they sell ($75+!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!