Monday, October 26, 2015

rockin' ...

the only souvenirs i brought back from Colorado were these rocks ... and the rain.

 i love the round one.  just so ... round.  and sort of flat, like a glob of putty left out and stepped on.  the white one looks like a quartz and i wish i had a rock tumbler to round it out and see what it looks like.  i've been toying with ideas for my moss garden and have been 'pinning' them to my pinterest page.  i saw a very cute gazing ball and was thinking i could make a small one with a marble, but the dark stone is triangle shaped with a flat end that would perfectly hold a marble ... or a polished piece of quartz.

i think the reason i've become so fascinated with rocks is because they are just so ancient.  at some point in time, they were pushed up from the ground, or washed ashore from the sea, a lake, rolled down a river, or tumbled from a mountain.  melted.  crushed.  molded.  cooled.  they might have even fallen from the sky.  each one is unique.  each one with a story.  a fossil hidden inside, or the magic of an agate or geode.  they don't grow on trees or come from seeds.  perfect, imperfect, large, small, variegated, solid, fragile, strong, weak ... unique.

just like every single one of us.

pushed, pulled, washed, rolled, tumbled, crushed, molded.  perfect, imperfect, large, small, strong, weak.  unique with a story to share.  we are shaped by where we come from, and where we are.  we are molded by pressure.  but no matter how much someone tries to crush us, we bounce back.  we are stronger than we think.  we are unique.

4 comments:

  1. I picked up a beautiful stone from a beach in Bar Harbor, Maine, the year we went to the East Coast for my 50th birthday trip. I'm not sure what pushed me to pick it up, but I wanted the memory of that place, and that time, to last. To this day, when I see it, and when I hold it, I remember. I call it my memory stone. I hope I find more. And....I do believe there's a story there. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to spend hours upon hours in the rock room at our local museum looking at the rocks. They are endlessly fascinating to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindi, thanks for sharing your story with me as we sat on the plane ride home from Colorado. I'm continuing to pray for you and your family. Pray for me and my family. I love your blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My wife has two rocks on her dresser that remind her of where she came from, one is from her old farm where she grew up. The other rock on her dresser reminds both of us WHO the ROCK of our lives is: God. "1 Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. 2 Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken" (Psalm 62:1-2). Peace in Jesus, our Rock and our Redeemer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir - love this connection between the rock and the Rock (not Dewayne Johnson! :-) ) Look forward to your posts to Cindi's blog.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read about our adventures!